The 2020 session of the Washington State Legislature is fast approaching, and it’s critical that you learn more about the issues impacting your practice – and how you can support the Washington State Chiropractic Trust’s efforts to protect chiropractic and our patients.
We have scheduled several two-hour legislative and policy update seminars for chiropractors in specific legislative districts (see information below). These seminars are free, and you can receive 2 CE credits attending. WSCA lobbyist Lori Grassi will discuss a range of important issues, including which Washington State laws protect your patients’ access to chiropractic care, an update on bills that passed and failed during the 2019 legislative session, and chiropractic legislative priorities for 2020. You will also receive current details on our challenges to the Kaiser E&M payment and other insurance-related issues.
Here’s a recap of our 2020 legislative agenda, as approved by the Washington State Chiropractic Association Board of Directors:
1) Regulating Benefit Managers (ASHN, Tivity, eviCore, Optum)
2) Prior authorization (clarifying “episode of care”)
3) Medicaid inclusion of chiropractors
1) Monitoring the implementation of SB 5380, passed during the 2019 session, which addresses prescription opioid misuse via prevention, education and treatment.
2) Tracking the details and service area requirements for a program in underserved communities that would make chiropractors eligible for student loan repayment.
3) Monitoring the progress of Cascade Care, the state’s new public option health plan and the state’s new Universal Health Plan Work Group. Making every effort to maintain access to chiropractic services consistent with statutory protections, such as Every Category of Provider.
Continue to challenge unfair practices regarding chiropractic coverage and push for fair laws.
It is important that all chiropractors connect now with their state senators and representatives. Those relationships will be important as we begin meeting with lawmakers to get support for our issues in 2020. Invite your legislators to coffee or lunch or take them on a tour of your office. It’s all about educating them about what you do to provide health and wellness care in your community.
You can find the names and contact information of your legislators here.
We have numerous requests from legislators for campaign contributions, and we need to make those contributions soon to meet the campaign contribution cutoff date. Our strong financial participation in key campaigns is critical to successfully moving our agenda. We need donations now!
Click DONATE to make a one-time contribution of $1,000, $500, $250, $100 or sign up for monthly credit card withdrawals. If you prefer, you can do the same by filling out and returning the enclosed contribution envelope.
Here’s a list of the legislative information sessions scheduled so far. Please note that while they are scheduled by district, chiropractors from any area are welcome to attend. You can register online by date at www.chirohealth.org/events/event_list.asp or you can call the WSCA office at (206) 878-6055. Meals are available for purchase at each venue.
Legislative District 1 – Bothell
Monday, Oct. 14, 2019
10024 Main St.
Bothell, WA 98011
Legislative District 34 – Burien
Monday, Oct. 21, 2019
Angelo’s of Burien
601 S.W. 153rd St.
Legislative District 12 – East Wenatchee
Friday, Oct. 25, 2019
501 Valley Mall Parkway
East Wenatchee, WA 98802